Friday, May 22, 2009

Blog #1 - Week of May 20th

What an interesting way to start a semester. I am going to love the conversations this class provokes. First, I had not thought about our social responsibilities, nay, obligations that accompany being a librarian (or whatever title you like best). The Code of Ethics put forth by the ALA is one that I am happy to work under.

In our textbook readings there are many elements that I have taken for granted. For example, The Essential Preparation chapter by Beverley Becker. I had only assumed that every library would have written policies and procedures. And that they have been in place without revision for years. That is completely inaccurate, obviously. The materials and content change so much in this industry that our policies should be expanded to include every scenario.
I think that what I learn in this class, I will be able to take with me into every other class. I look forward to reading your blogs and responses.

It is still shocking to me that a list of banned books still exists.

On a side note, I read “Little Brother” this week and have a lot to say. I would love to hear what anyone else thinks. I don’t want to get into it all now but I disagree with some elements of what the book is saying. Being an Army wife might make me bias as I harbor underlying motives. Let’s discuss…

1 comment:

Hayley said...

I am still halfway through Little Brother but I am eager to finish it so we can discuss!

I agree that there are so many facets to defending intellectual freedom in libraries that we take for granted or assume is already in place when it may not be. Of course, not having these documents and policies will almost always ensure that at some point one would need them to defend or fight an issue and would be left unable to do so properly. I suppose the overall message is to plan for the worst and hope for the best, as the saying goes.

And yes, it is so important to keep policies up to date! It's drudgery to go through the process but is again vitally important.